Overactive Pelvic Floor – Signs. Symptoms. Treatment.
Watch this Video with Our Women’s Health Physical Therapist
Pelvic floor muscle over-activity is where there may be:
1. Increased pelvic floor muscle tension at rest.
2. Increased voluntary or involuntary contractile activity.
3. A decreased ability to fully relax the PFMs.
What Can Cause Overactive Pelvic Floor Muscles?
There can be many different contributing factors:
1. Bladder or bowel dysfunction.
3. Pelvic surgery
4. Chronic holding patterns.
6. Stress- tension can be stored in the PFMs in response to stress.
8. Infection or inflammation.
Symptoms of Overactive Pelvic Floor Muscles?
1. Urinary urgency.
2. Urinary frequency.
3. Not being able to feel a pelvic floor muscle contraction or release.
3. Pelvic pain.
4. Slower urinary flow.
5. Feeling of incomplete emptying.
6. Inability to have sex or pain with sex.
7. Difficulty or pain with emptying the bowels.
8. Stress urinary leakage in some cases.
Treatment for Overactive Pelvic Floor
1. Determining if the pelvic floor muscles are overactive or under-active is crucial when it comes to treatment.
2. Belly breathing.
3. Relaxation techniques.
4. Manual therapy.
7. Always seek professional medical advice!